The Battered Women's Justice Project (BWJP) is a national resource center on the civil and criminal justice system responses to intimate partner violence (IPV). Under federal grants, BWJP conducts trainings on related issues, publishes policy analyses, and provides on-site consultation to jurisdictions around the country seeking to improve victim safety and offender accountability. See websites: www.bwjp.org and www.preventdvgunviolence.org.
The Website Content Writer/Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing a communications plan for the organization that promotes our services and resources, producing content for our websites, e-newsletters, announcements, and other publications that provides cutting-edge information to our constituents. This position would also be responsible for providing writing and editing support to program staff who produce articles, policy papers, and training materials for the field. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director.
Website Content Writing/Management & Other Writing
- Research and draft articles for the organization’s websites.
- Provide writing and editing support to program staff to assist them in developing website content and policy briefs/articles/curricula.
- Assist with development of grants, annual reports, PR materials, and other documents as needed.
- Work with website consultants to update site design as needed.
- Use Google Analytics to guide website development and monitor topics of interest to our constituents.
- Develop and execute an organizational communications plan in conjunction with program staff that identifies topics, writers, and a schedule for the production of content for bimonthly e-newsletters, the website, social media and other written products.
- Coordinate the production of content to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Post dynamic social media content on a regular basis.
- Collect and submit website usage data promptly for required progress reports to funders.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- BA in journalism, English or communications or equivalent education/experience; demonstrated experience writing for traditional publications as well as internet content.
- Desired: Education/experience in women’s issues, criminal justice, law or public policy.
- Excellent overall writing skills in different styles/tones; impeccable spelling and grammar.
- Great research, organizational and learning skills.
- Familiarity with keyword usage and other SEO best practices; understanding of formatting articles for the web; high comprehension of software like Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
- Familiarity with basic website design fundamentals and digital content management systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently. Creative and strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and balance workload, and work well with diverse groups of people.
- Desired: competency in lay-out, formatting, publication design.
Salary: DOQ in competitive non-profit services range, plus individual/family health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, vacation, sick leave, and holiday hours.
Application: Send cover letter, resume and writing samples by February 10, 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Battered Women’s Justice Project, 1801 Nicollet Ave. So., Suite 102, Minneapolis, MN 55403.