The Battered Women's Justice Project primarily provides support and technical assistance to organizations and professionals engaged in the criminal and civil justice system’s response to intimate partner violence. We do not take on individual cases or provide legal representation for individuals.
An individual case is subject to state laws and local practices, so it’s necessary to obtain legal representation from an attorney licensed in your state. Our ability to assist victims with their individual cases is limited to the provision of general information about the criminal and civil justice systems, including family court, and how domestic violence cases are typically processed. We can help you focus your questions about the criminal and civil legal system, and refer you to other local or national resources that address your particular legal situation.
You may contact us via email, but please be aware that email is not a secure form of communication. For information about safely using computers, visit the Safety Net Project.
If possible, we recommend contact via the phone during business hours (8:30-4:30 CT) as we have found that phone conversations allow us to provide more specific and concrete information related to a caller’s unique legal circumstances.
For other assistance, we recommend that you contact the following agencies:
- Services for victims of intimate partner violence including information on finding an advocate or shelter, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at (800) 799-SAFE (7233) or (800) 787-3224 (TTY) or visit their website.
- Your state domestic violence coalition, please visit the listing of all state coalitions.
- Stalking, contact the Stalking Resource Center's website or call (800) FYI-CALL or visit their website.
- Services for victims of sexual assault, contact the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network or call (800) 656-HOPE or visit their website.
- Finding an attorney, contact
- Your state domestic violence coalition
- Your state bar (Attorney's Association); to find your state's listing, please visit this website.
- If you are a battered woman charged with a crime and need help with your legal defense, contact BWJP's Defense office at (800) 903-0111, ext 3 or (215) 351-0010 or visit their website.